Friday, April 19, 2013

This Week in Rankings


Continued with my project catching up on the action movies of the 2000s this week, and actually managed to write something other than a list as well. It was originally just going to be a single post about Paul WS Anderson's Resident Evil movies, but my introduction about Vulgar Auteurism got out of hand and became its own post. Now the Resident Evil thing will be a series, the next part of which I'll be writing whenever I can find another few hours of baby-free time.

Opening today in Seattle at the Grand Illusion is Brandon Cronenberg's Antiviral, an interesting movie I saw and reviewed way back in September (someday I will finish my last three VIFF 2012 reviews, hopefully before VIFF 2013). The best movie in theatres now though is Terrence Malick's To the Wonder, the first movie I've been able to see in a theatre in a couple of months. Like all Malick films, there's a lot of disagreement and dismissal following in the wake of its release, but I'm sure that in time it will find its place amongst the director's other great recent works. I don't know that I'll be writing much about it: there's already so much great stuff out there on it and I have so little time, but I loved it.

These are the movies I watched and rewatched over the last week, along with where they place on my year-by-year rankings. Links are to my letterboxd comments, where available.

The Musketeers of Pig-Alley (DW Griffith) - 1, 1912
Man on Fire (Tony Scott) - 9, 2004
Alien vs. Predator (Paul WS Anderson) - 24, 2004
Crank (Neveldine/Taylor) - 8, 2006
Déjà Vu (Tony Scott) - 10, 2006
Death Race (Paul WS Anderson) - 49, 2008

Universal Soldier: Regeneration (John Hyams) - 22, 2009
The Taking of Pelham 123 (Tony Scott) - 31, 2009
Crank: High Voltage (Neveldine/Taylor) - 46, 2009
The Three Musketeers (Paul WS Anderson) - 35, 2011
To the Wonder (Terrence Malick) - 6, 2012
Bachelorette (Leslye Headland) - 25, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment