Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The Kids Are Alright

Some random thoughts while watching the World Series:

Saw Sixteen Candles finally last weekend. It was good, better than Pretty In Pink, worse than The Breakfast Club. I was happy to see that there were no references to socio-economic class. Anthony Michael Hall was great, possibly his best performance. Molly Ringwold, though, not only was her acting poor, she didn't even look particularly attractive. Nice to see was that, as the wife noted, all the kids actually look like high school kids. Just as they don't in, say, Pretty In Pink.

I was going to post the Tom DeLay mugshot on here, but it's just way too creepy.

Still waiting to get my prize for winning Baseball Prospectus's HACKING MASS contest. I've been assured that I should be hearing something next week though, which is nice. As for the playoffs, I haven't been following all that closely, I don't especially like any of the teams that made it. I've watched much of the Series though (except the Tivo cut off an hour or two before the end of last night's game.) I'd tell you I picked the White Sox to win it all, but you wouldn't believe me. Oh, and if you were wondering why the White Sox aren't the White Socks, Slate has the answer.

I've been trying to catch up with contemporary music after pretty much ignoring it since 1997 or so. Lately I've picked up some Modest Mouse, Death Cab For Cutie, Flaming Lips, The Shins, Matt Pond PA (worst band name ever?) and the Garden State and Elizabethtown soundtracks. I like a lot of it, and of those I'd say the Matt Pond PA album is the best (it's their latest one), and the best song is The Shins' "New Slang", from the Garden State Soundtrack. I have to say, though, that I'm disappointed in Modest Mouse. I don't really see what all the hubub is about. Kids today. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment